FANTASPORTO 2020 REGULATIONS
1. The 40th edition of the OPORTO INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL - FANTASPORTO 2020 will take place from February 28th till March 7th.
2. The Festival main purpose is screening and promoting films of quality, both aesthetically and thematically, and to seek new forms and methods of filmmaking.
3. The Festival has the following sections.
3.1. Competitive Sections for unreleased films in Portugal:
3.1.1. Official Section - Fantasy Feature Films – new features with fantasy as main genre. Must have been produced between 2019 and 2020.
3.1.2. Official Section - Fantasy Short Films – new short films with fantasy as main genre. The shorts should have a maximum of 15 minutes in length, and must have been produced between 2019 and 2020.
3.1.3. Official Section - Directors Week (Manoel de Oliveira Award) – ONLY for feature films in all genres and produced between 2019 and 2020.
3.1.4. Official Section - Orient Express - for Asian feature films, produced between 2019 and 2020.
3.1.5. Official Section - Prémio de Cinema Português – Best Portuguese Film Award - for unreleased Portuguese films (all lengths) produced in 2019 and 2020.
3.2. Non - Competitive Sections:
3.2.1. Official Section Out of Competition - Panorama & Première - for recent feature films in all genres unreleased in Portugal.
3.2.2. Official Section – FantasClassics – A Tribute to classical masterpieces, mainly the ones remastered.
3.2.3. Retrospective Section
4. The Festival aims at:
4.1. Promoting in the city of Oporto a cultural forum with international impact.
4.2. Dignifying the Portuguese Cinema and encouraging the film production in Portugal.
4.3. Promoting Portugal in the world film industry.
5. FILMS - PROCEDURES FOR A FILM APPLICATION/SELECTION
5.1. Features: A screener on line must be sent till the 1st December 2019 together with a signed Entry Form that can be found in the site www.fantasporto.com.
The screeners and the entry form are mandatory and must be sent to the email email@example.com.
The submission screeners should be sent using a link with password, open till December15th.
5.2. Shorts: Fantasy shorts screeners must be submitted till November 1st.
5.3. The submission can also be sent by mail. The proposals, in DVD or Blu Ray support, must be sent together with the filled and signed entry form to FANTASPORTO | RUA ANIBAL CUNHA, 121 / 4050 – 048 PORTO | PORTUGAL till November 1st.
5.4. Please remember the filled ENTRY FORM MUST BE SENT DULLY SIGNED WITH THE SUBMISSION TO CONFIRM YOUR APPLICATION.
The signed entry form is mandatory. Without this procedure, the submission will not be accepted for selection.
6. IF THE FEATURE IS SELECTED, IT IS NECESSARY FOR ELECTRONIC SUBTITLING AND PROMOTION:
6.1. Dialogue list of the film in English.
6.2. Screener in DVD , Blu Ray or link and password valid till March 9th
6.3. Five (5) or more press stills (with at least 1MB each). One of them must be the poster of the film.
6.4. Press-book and promotional materials
6.5. A trailer in mp4
6.6. EPK of the film in mp4 for TV promotion (optional)
6.7. Graphic Materials to be used to promote the film in the Web
7. The screeners are not returned and will be destroyed or erased after the festival.
8. All materials should be sent l to:
FANTASPORTO Rua Aníbal Cunha, 121
4050 - 048 Porto
Or through the email
9. IF SELECTED/ FOR EXHIBITION:
9.1. The participating producers, directors and sales agents may present their films under the following conditions:
9. 2. Accepted supports: DCP, that should be open, or BluRay. We do not accept films to download except selected fantasy shorts.
9.3. To have English subtitles or to be spoken in English.
9.4. To have been produced between 2019 and 2020, if selected for competition.
9.5. To be the first public screening in Portugal .
9.6. THE SCREENERS OF THE FILMS SHOULD BE IN POSSESSION OF THE ORGANIZING COMMITTEE till February 1st 2020.
9.7. The Festival insurance coverage includes all risks - including theft, fire, loss or disappearance; total or partial damage. The insurance company covers all films screened in the festival.
9.8. If requested, the screening supports will be returned to the producing company. If there is a request by the producer /Sales Agent to send the film to another festival or film event, the cost runs on this new entity.
10. The Organizers are responsible for the selection of the films submitted to the Competitive Sections but the festival delegates in International Juries the decision on the awards.
11. The Organizers nominate International Juries that will decide on the Official Awards of each section of the festival.
12. Awards to be granted by the Jury of the Official Competition for Fantasy Films:
The International Jury of the Official Section for Fantasy Films will grant the following awards:
a) Fantasporto Best Film Award
b) Fantasporto Special Award of the Jury
This award will be given to a film whose artistic and technical aspects present a high level of originality.
c) Fantasporto Best Direction
d) Fantasporto Best Actor
e) Fantasporto Best Actress
f) Fantasporto Best Screenplay
g) Fantasporto Best Special Effects or Best Cinematography
h) Fantasporto Best Fantasy Short Film Award
13. Jury of the Official Competition Directors Week / Manoel de Oliveira Award
The International Jury of the Directors Week will grant the following awards:
a) Fantasporto Directors Week Best Film Award
b) Fantasporto Directors Week Special Award. For a film with a high level of originality.
c) Fantasporto Directors Week Best Director
d) Fantasporto Directors Week Best Actor
e) Fantasporto Directors Week Best Actress
f) Fantasporto Directors Week Best Screenplay
14. Jury of the Official Competition Orient Express
The International Jury of the Orient Express official section will grant the following awards:
a) Fantasporto Orient Express Best Film Award
b) Fantasporto Orient Express Special Award of the Jury. For a film with a high level of originality.
15. Jury of the Portuguese Cinema
This jury will grant the following awards:
a) Fantasporto Portuguese Cinema Award - Best Film
For an unreleased Portuguese film produced in 2019 or 2000 (short or feature).
b) Fantasporto Best Portuguese Film School.
16. The awards of the festival have no monetary value and consist of trophies. Diplomas will be given, if asked, to the selected films for the Official Sections. The trophies are delivered in the presence of a representative of the film in the closing night of the festival. They can be sent later, if asked by the awardee, with costs running on his/her behalf.
17. The criteria of the final program per screening room belongs to the organizers.
18. The Organizing Committee is the only entity entitled to decide on all matters not provided in these regulations.
Rua Aníbal Cunha, 121
4050 - 048 Porto